My Journey to Competent Communicator started with my Ice Breaker speech in Noida Toastmasters Club on 28 Sep 2013 and I was able to reach my first milestone after 2 years, on 18 October 2015 (there was break of 8 months onsite). Here is a summary of projects that I undertook as part of this journey.
1. Project 1 – The Ice Breaker — The first speech of the Toastmasters program is about introducing yourself to your peers, providing a benchmark for your current skill level, and standing and speaking without falling over.
Speech Title – My Ice Breaker. Delivered on 28 Sep 13.
2. Project 2 – Organize Your Speech — Introduces the basic concepts of organizing a speech around a speech outline. –
Speech Title -Philanthropy. Delivered on October 12, 2013.
3. Project 3 – Get to the Point — Clearly state your speech goal, and make sure that every element of your speech focuses on that goal.
Speech Title -Buying a house in NCR. Delivered on January 18, 2014.
4. Project 4 – How to Say It — Examines word choice, sentence structure, and rhetorical devices. –
Speech Title – Culture Shock. Delivered on January 25, 2014.
5. Project 5 – Your Body Speaks — Shows how to complement words with posture, stance, gestures, facial expressions, and eye contact. –
Speech Title -A Miracle. Delivered on June 13, 2015.
6. Project 6 – Vocal Variety — Guides you to add life to your voice with variations in pitch, pace, power, and pauses.
Speech Title – The Angels. July 18, 2015.
Speech Link – https://imvinit.wordpress.com/2015/07/18/the-angels/
7. Project 7 – Research Your Topic — Addresses the importance of backing up your arguments with evidence and touches on the types of evidence to use.
Speech Title -Bitter Sugar. August 15, 2015.
8. Project 8 – Get Comfortable With Visual Aids — Examines the use of slides, transparencies, flip charts, whiteboards, or props.
Speech Title -Vegetarian Mishaps. September 19, 2015.
9. Project 9 – Persuade With Power — Discusses audience analysis and the different forms of persuasion available to a speaker.
Speech Title -Big hearts, Small minds. October 18, 2015.
10. Project 10 – Inspire Your Audience — The last of ten speeches, this project challenges the speaker to draw all their skills together to deliver a powerful inspirational message.
Speech Title – An enemy within. October 18, 2015.
I got Competent Communicator Award by Toastmasters International for this. But, more important thing that I got was the enormous learning experience in public speaking by just being part of this amazing club.
With this Award, actually my real journey started in public speaking, there are many more milestones to achieve. Here is a quick shot :), as you can see I have just reached the first step.
So, the only thing I am able to say at this time is that my Journey to Competent Communicator has actually started now :).